SQL Server version problem

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I downloaded the code and opened it in VS2010 and when attempt to run get an Entity error in the Home controller's GetTopSellingAlbums method. When I checked the database I get this error "The database 'C:\USERS\DAVE\DOCUMENTS\VISUAL STUDIO 2010\PROJECTS\MVCSITEMAPPROVIDEREXAMPLE\MVCMUSICSTORE\APP_DATA\MVCMUSICSTORE.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported."

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM

The sample DB is created using SQL Server 2008 Express R2.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Edited Jul 21, 2011 at 3:59 PM

UPDATE: I was wrong. It turns out I had to instances installed, and the default instance name for R2 is MSSQLSERVER. for some reason, it didn't work to set the data source to ./MSSQLSERVER.

In the end, I had to set the default data source to MSSQLSERVER instance name, and set the instance name in the web.config to . (just . and nothing more).

I hope this helps someone.

Original text: 

Actually - its not.

SQL server 2008 Express R2 tells me that exact error this thread is about.

The only difference is that mine tells me that the latest supported version is 662 (one above the DB  attached the the solution  - 661).

But keep up the good work, and thanks for making great software.

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Great news :-) (BTW if you feel like converting the sample to SQLCE4 don't hesitate ;-))