Performance issue and the solution on FindSiteMapNode( HttpContext context )

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I am using this mvc sitemap in one of my projects and found a big performance issue in the function "public override SiteMapNode FindSiteMapNode( HttpContext context )" which is called by CurrentNode and it calls a even slower function node = FindControllerActionNode( this.RootNode, routeData.Values );

I did not get chance to fix FindControllerActionNode( this.RootNode, routeData.Values ) but I found public override SiteMapNode FindSiteMapNode(string rawUrl) is hundreds times faster. Below is the performance data.

Before change:

One call to SiteMapPath() invokes 1285 + 970 calls to GetChildNode() which takes 1356ms.

After change:

It takes 5ms for one call to SiteMapPath() which has no call  to GetChildNode(). It improves 250 times. Thinking of that every page needs to call SiteMapPath().

-- PLEASE NOTES:

This change was tested only for my MVC1 application.  I hope this can give you the idea.

-- Changes

The changes is simple in the function to replace the call to FindControllerActionNode( this.RootNode, routeData.Values ); with two lines of code.

routeValues.Add( "area", routeData.DataTokens[ "area" ] ?? string.Empty );
                System.Web.Routing.VirtualPathData vpd = System.Web.Routing.RouteTable.Routes.GetVirtualPath(
                  null,
                  routeData.Values );
                string rawUrl = vpd.VirtualPath;
                node = SiteMap.Provider.FindSiteMapNode( rawUrl ) as MvcSiteMapNode;
                //node = FindControllerActionNode( this.RootNode, routeData.Values );

routeValues.Add( "area", routeData.DataTokens[ "area" ] ?? string.Empty );

//below two lines are added

System.Web.Routing.VirtualPathData vpd = System.Web.Routing.RouteTable.Routes.GetVirtualPath(null, routeData.Values );

node = SiteMap.Provider.FindSiteMapNode( vpd.VirtualPath ) as MvcSiteMapNode;

//node = FindControllerActionNode( this.RootNode, routeData.Values );

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Good grief this change makes a difference.  I was beginning to get worried about how slow MvcSiteMap was behaving.  Nice catch!  I will be checking to see your fix on the FindControllerActionNode() function.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 9:48 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.