Submenus

May 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Hi,

Love the project, I have found it very useful. I have created an extension helper based on your code that you might want to include in your menu helpers that renders a second level submenu based on the top level node:

public static class MenuHelper

{

public static string SubMenu(this HtmlHelper helper, string providerName,  bool showStartingNode, string subMenuCssClass,string selectedMenuItemCssClass)

{

// Check for provider

if (SiteMap.Providers[providerName] == null)

{

throw new UnknownSiteMapProviderException(string.Format("Unknown SiteMap provider: {0}", providerName));

}

// Helpers

HttpContextBase httpContext = new HttpContextWrapper(HttpContext.Current);

UrlHelper urlHelper = new UrlHelper(new RequestContext(httpContext, RouteTable.Routes.GetRouteData(httpContext)));

// Determine root node

SiteMapNode relativeRootNode = SiteMap.Providers[providerName].CurrentNode;

// Fetch nodes to render

SiteMapNodeCollection nodesToRender = new SiteMapNodeCollection();

if (showStartingNode)

{

nodesToRender.Add(relativeRootNode);

}

if (relativeRootNode.HasChildNodes)

{

nodesToRender.AddRange(relativeRootNode.ChildNodes);

}

else if (relativeRootNode.ParentNode != SiteMap.RootNode)

{

nodesToRender.AddRange(relativeRootNode.ParentNode.ChildNodes);

}

// String builder

var sb = new StringBuilder();

if (nodesToRender.Count > 0)

{                

// Create unordered list tag

sb.Append("<div");

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(subMenuCssClass))

{

sb.Append(string.Format(" class=\"{0}\" ><ul>", subMenuCssClass));

}

// Render each node

foreach (SiteMapNode node in nodesToRender)

{

MvcSiteMapNode mvcNode = node as MvcSiteMapNode;

bool nodeVisible = true;

// Node authorized?

if (!node.IsAccessibleToUser(HttpContext.Current))

nodeVisible = false;

// Node visible?

if (mvcNode != null && mvcNode.Visibility != MvcSiteMapNodeVisibility.Full)

nodeVisible = false;

// Render node

if (nodeVisible)

{

if (SiteMap.CurrentNode == node || node.IsInCurrentNodePath())

{

sb.Append("<li");

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(selectedMenuItemCssClass))

{

sb.Append(string.Format(" class=\"{0}\"", selectedMenuItemCssClass));

}

sb.Append(">");

}

else

{

sb.Append("<li>");

}

string url = node.Url;

if (url.StartsWith("~"))

{

url = urlHelper.Content(node.Url);

}

sb.AppendFormat("<a href=\"{0}\">{1}</a>", url, helper.Encode(node.Title));

sb.AppendLine("</li>");

}

}

// Close unordered list tag

sb.AppendLine("</ul>"); 

}

return sb.ToString();

}

}

I then used it in my master page directly below where I used your Menu helper:

<div>

<% if (SiteMap.CurrentNode != SiteMap.RootNode ) // Don't render a sub menu for the root node (Home)

{%> 

<%= Html.SubMenu(SiteMap.Provider.Name, false, "submenu", "submenu-current")%>

<%} %>

</div> 

Thnaks again.

AB

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I got the following error when I added your method into MenuHelper.cs file and included the following in my master page:

<div>

<% if (SiteMap.CurrentNode != SiteMap.RootNode ) // Don't render a sub menu for the root node (Home)

{%> 

<%= Html.SubMenu(SiteMap.Provider.Name, false, "submenu", "submenu-current")%>

<%} %>

</div>

CS1061: 'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<object>' does not contain a definition for 'SubMenu' and no extension method 'SubMenu' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<object>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I added and rebuild the whole project and referenced the dll again but still doesn't work. Do  I need to make any more changes?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:05 AM

Look at Html.MenuPinned, which does the same thing and is already included?

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Re: Look at Html.MenuPinned, which does the same thing and is already included?

It doesn't look like Html.MenuPinned() support setting of the setCssSelected class - only main menu gets highlighted, not my sub-menu. I'm going to try Haybarr's code shortly as it seems to address this...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Would be best to take a look at the included behavior and simply modify its output to include a class on the selected node.

Then you can submit that as an enhancement request.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Yep, already did this modification: http://mvcsitemap.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=208337

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I cannot get MenuPinned to produce the list that the Submenu code example above gives. MenuPinned, in all my tests, produces a "tree" of nodes, when what we really need is just the child nodes of the current "main menu" node. The Submenu code above does this. Am I using MenuPinned incorrectly? How do you use it to produce just the child nodes?

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

MenuPinned creates a tree of nodes starting at a certain level.

So, if you have something like 'tabs at top of page' and when you click on a tab you have a menu on the left.   That menu on the left might use supersubs or something, so menupinned produces a tree starting at that node.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

So MenuPinned cannot produce the "Left Menu" concept?

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I would say we need an overload of menupinned to have a 'max levels' parameter.  Then you could pass 1 in for that and it would work.

It should be a really easy modification, if you want to submit that as a patch, would be great - he will accept it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I would like to contribute to making the following enhancements to the menu helper:

1) make it (or MenuPinned) work like a submenu by giving it a maximum level to render.
2) allow an additional inner tag, such as a "".
3) create a new visible state of "WhenActive" which would only make a node visibile in the menu if it was active.
4) create a new menu parameter, users, that would behave like the users attribute in the allow/deny config. So users="?" would be visible to only unauthenticated users, users="+" would be for only authenticated users, and otherwise you could put individual user names.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Sorry I have not been responsive but I have been very busy at work. Are there still any problems using the example I posted? If so let me know. Otherwise jjorczak your experience is exactly the problem I had when I posted the code above. Unfortunately I did not have time to make a contribution to the project but if you would like to work on it together let me know as  I have a few days to spare next week.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Your example works well, except for one item that was bombing on a null reference. I removed it quick in my copy to get it to pass, but did not spend the time analyzing it yet. I would love to collaborate on the fixes and making these changes permanent. Please let me know how to proceed.