MvcSiteMapProvider vNext

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Hello all,

I'm planning MvcSiteMapProvider 4.0 and would like to know what scenarios you will be using this in and how you would expect it to work. My main focus for v4.0 is getting rid of the dependency on the ASP.NET sitemap model as it is the cause for many issues and limitations at the moment.

Best regards,
Maarten

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I wish that there would be a better way of localizing the sitemap nodes. For example, I do not wanna use App_GlobalResources folder in my asp.net mvc app. I would like to reference the resource directly. For example, something like below:

<mvcSiteMapNode 
resource="Web.Application.Resources.SiteMapLocalizations"
 key="Contact" controller="corporate" action="contact" />

For now, I am doing something like below which I am not sure it is the right way of doing it:

[SiteMapTitle("SMKey")] 
public ViewResult Contact() { 
   ViewData["SMKey"] = Web.Application.Resources.SiteMapLocalizations.Contact;

return View(); 
}

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Hi Maarten,

It's good to see that the project is still alive. Some time ago I had a question http://mvcsitemap.codeplex.com/discussions/271908 how to register multiple node providers at runtime. I ended up with multiple sitemap providers registered in the web.config with different names and different sitemap files. In each sitemap file I have just two nodes ( because single root node with dynamic node provider specified doesn't work ) to register a dynamic node provider.

The point is to have multiple providers registered at runtime within your favorite DI container such as Autofac in my case without all the Xml configuration "hell". I just want to implement IDynamicNodeProvider interface and register it with DI container and that's all. In my scenario each plugin has its own node provider with its own root node.

Is something like this achievable with the current release of MvcSitemapProvider? If not I would like to see that in the vNext version.

BTW, I fully support getting rid of the ASP.Net sitemap model.

Best regards,

Jakub

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Maarten,

Are you going to launch a uservoice forum on v4 features ?
Will you keep an eye on this discussion thread, or will everything (including the roadmap) be moved to the github forum ?

Can you give a little more explanation about moving away from the ASP.NET sitemap ? Don't you need the ASP.NET layer ? 

Bart,