Multiple Sitemaps ?

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM
Edited Oct 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hey Guys,

I am just wondering whether it is possible to create a SiteMapIndex and then create child sitemaps off this index and then child indexes etc ?

i.e. Main-Sitemap.xml.gz - @import sub-sitemap.xml.gz

sub-sitemap.xml.gz - @import sub-sub-sitemap.xml.gz

sub-sub-sitemap.xml.gz - <url> ... </url> 

So sub-sitemap.xml.gz could support 20 or 30 sub-sub-sitemap.xml.gz which contain a bunch of URLS and so forth. This allows for larger sites to structure their data within multiple sitemaps ?

The problem is that I have quite a large site and current sitemaps - see http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.php under Using Sitemap index files (to group multiple sitemap files)

Sitemap files have a limit of 50,000 URLs and 10 megabytes per sitemap. Sitemaps can be compressed using gzip, reducing bandwidth consumption. Multiple sitemap files are supported, with a Sitemap index file serving as an entry point. Sitemap index files may not list more than 50,000 Sitemaps and must be no larger than 10MB (10,485,760 bytes) and can be compressed. You can have more than one Sitemap index file.

Is this possible to do this currently via the latest commit and if so - would love some advice how :)

Thanks

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Will work on it for the next release :-)

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Oct 6, 2010 at 3:42 AM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 3:42 AM

great thanks maarten! 

this would be a really awesome addition - since multiple sitemap maps / index would allow the grouping of sitemaps etc

cheers